WorldInColour

WorldInColour

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
Jean-Paul Sartre
La Langue sauvée
Elias Canetti
Un Homme Qui Dort
Georges Perec
Persepolis - Toon Dohmen, Marjane Satrapi I believe I first read Marjane Satrapi's landmark graphic novel 'Persepolis' somewhere in the summer of 2011. At the time I was new to the whole graphic novel genre, and the simplicity in Satrapi's drawing style and the hardlined black/white contrast gave the impression that 'Persepolis' would be, if not a perfect, at the very least a very readable introduction.

Little did I know what the graphic novel was actually about. I was, shamefully, completetly oblivious to Iran and its history. Hell, I probably would have labelled it Ahmadinejad's private nuclear bomb factory. Although I do not mean to go all political on this delightful graphic novel. 'Persepolis' is, after all, more a story about people than it is one about governments. It's even the story of Marjane Satrapi herself, her first contacts with extremism, both in the West and in the East. I remember rooting for her character throughout the story. I remember loving this graphic novel to bits, and reading many other ones after it.

So please, do read this terrific and utterly charming piece of art. (Or the Iranians might bomb you.) Just kidding. Or am I?