WorldInColour

WorldInColour

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
Jean-Paul Sartre
La Langue sauvée
Elias Canetti
Un Homme Qui Dort
Georges Perec
Only Revolutions - Mark Z. Danielewski Zero stars. Yeah, you got that right. Zero.

I must start off by admitting I haven't read the book in its entirety. However, considering I'll never get any further than I already have, I might as well write my review right now.

I do not mind putting in a little effort when reading a book. Danielewski's debut novel [b:House of Leaves|24800|House of Leaves|Mark Z. Danielewski|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889035s/24800.jpg|856555] was extraordinary, and left me numb. Needless to say I was looking forward to the follow-up, which turned out to be an epic poem written from two perspectives. The idea is that you read eight pages as seen through the eyes of Sam, then flip the book and read eight pages written from Hailey's point of view. These two storylines would then meet halfway in a splendid apotheosis.

Not quite so splendid. In fact, [b:Only Revolutions|40152|Only Revolutions|Mark Z. Danielewski|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1285310946s/40152.jpg|892647] is nothing but a pretentious attempt to revive a genre that could have done without this sorry excuse for a book. What's the problem with it exactly? Well, first of all, what in god's name is going on with the story? It is severely uncompelling, disorganized and unclear. It feels as if you're reading braille with your eyebrows. It just doesn't make any sense.

The parts of the story you do understand, are simply put too boring to even describe. There's a part in which Hailey drives a car. Sometimes they go for a walk. But really, after twenty-four pages (which means flipping the damn book eight damn times) I really didn't bother any more.

Sad as I am to say this, [b:Only Revolutions|40152|Only Revolutions|Mark Z. Danielewski|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1285310946s/40152.jpg|892647] is nothing more than a pretentious poem that leads nowhere and seems desperate to annoy its reader as much as possible. Sorry Mark - you dropped the ball on this one.