WorldInColour

WorldInColour

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
Jean-Paul Sartre
La Langue sauvée
Elias Canetti
Un Homme Qui Dort
Georges Perec
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami, Elbrich Fennema Norwegian Wood by [a:Haruki Murakami|3354|Haruki Murakami|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1350230608p2/3354.jpg] is an absolute delight. It is, without a doubt, one of the best books I have ever read. Norwegian Wood captures the essence of a lot of things - one should imagine Murakami wearing a wizard's robe while slowly cooking up the ingredients of a masterpiece.

The main story focuses around Toru Watanabe, who is, in all respects, just a guy. A young man with emotions, with desires, who isn't limited by his own body or mind. The rest of the book is a love story, it's about attraction, special moments, the wounds that distance and time inflict on a loving heart. It's about settling down while looking for adventure (Midori). But most of all, it tries to capture the permanent sadness that lingers within (specifically through Naoko, making for some heartbreakingly beautiful scenes). The novel is drenched in solitude, and the difficulty of both sharing and appreciating the good that comes our way.

I could really go on and on about this book. It's sheer storytelling pleasure, and one of the most subtle attacks on the heart one could imagine.