WorldInColour

WorldInColour

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
Jean-Paul Sartre
La Langue sauvée
Elias Canetti
Un Homme Qui Dort
Georges Perec
Les Liaisons dangereuses - Pierre Choderlos de Laclos I remember once having some teach me Ancient Greek. He was sort of a clone of the Dead Poets Society-ideal, a man of many inspiring words. I especially remember a story he once told us about a sculpture we'd once encountered when reading a story.

This is the sculpture that, according to him, contains the 'mystery key to women'; http://farm1.staticflickr.com/44/129263750_d32a775af4_o.jpg

Although the woman in the sculpture, Aphrodite, tries to maintain her distance to Pan, who is trying to seduce her, and even tries to smack him with her sandal, she is still smiling. She enjoys the game of seduction.

'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' reminded me of this very lesson, and the multiplicity of aspects and distinctions in what we like to call love. Laclos has made a very special novel, a classic in all the right ways, extorting all possible aspects of the epistolary novel. The people reading skills of Valmont, the manipulative but delightful Mme de Merteuil, it all comes together perfectly. If you want to learn about love, the various ways in which it can be percepted by anyone, please, read this novel. It will save you many heartbreaks.