WorldInColour

WorldInColour

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
Jean-Paul Sartre
La Langue sauvée
Elias Canetti
Un Homme Qui Dort
Georges Perec
Nineteen Eighty-Four - Thomas Pynchon, George Orwell The legend of George Orwell's '1984' dates back to almost seventy years now, but hasn't lost its relevance or power. It's one of those rare, extremely dense novels that is overflowing with important ideas, and should have its place in everyone's bookshelf.

Boy, Winston Smith isn't very lucky, is he? His wife is nothing but an empty shell, the world around him is one big lie and he can only talk to his actual love interest Julia by risking his life. However compelling the story might be, '1984' is primarily an essay on the dangers of revolution and oligarchy. The main reason you feel for Winston and Julia is because of the society they live in. Many words have been written about this society, so I won't bore you with the details.

It suffices to say that '1984' is more than some book every high school scholar in America has to read. Even though I knew the plot inside and out, I was still impressed by the poignant way in which Orwell manages to put his ideas into words. A book worthy of the title 'classic'.