WorldInColour

WorldInColour

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
Jean-Paul Sartre
La Langue sauvée
Elias Canetti
Un Homme Qui Dort
Georges Perec

Death Note Series

Death Note Series - Tsugumi Ohba I never actually owned this box set. In fact, I do not remember ever owning a box set of any kind - it just seemed more economical to review this Death Note collection in stead of reviewing each comic individually.

So yeah, manga. I know, right? It seems to do everything it possibly can to annoy you. Reading from right to left, starting at the bottom of the page and at the back of the book, it takes some getting used to. I never really liked manga much - it seemed strange, juvenile and over the top, some sort of mangled super hero comics for Japanese twelve year olds.

Death Note captured my attention though. I guess it's a one of a kind manga, with lots of western influences and rather nice artwork. The story is quite catchy too - Light Yagami finds a notebook called the Death Note. It has quite a bit of rules and such, but the concept is that it allows him to kill people by writing their name in the booklet. Interesting is that this booklet comes from another world, the demon world, and was dropped into the human world because the demons were simply bored. Any way. Light quickly realizes the power of the booklet and sets up this elaborate plan to change the world. He starts killing criminals one by one to create fear. The idea is that, ultimately, nobody will dare to commit a crime.

His antagonist is a genious detective called L, a magnificently excentric figure that is the real star of this show. The tension between both Light and L and the psychological mindgames the two play with eachother make this some of the most exciting storytelling I've had the pleasure of reading.

On top of that, Death Note raises some important ethical questions. Readers will find themselves drawn towards both Light Yagami and L, as both eventually share the same goal - to eradicate evil.

For those who do not like the manga form, which is to be understood, there is always the excellent anime adaptation. Think Pokémon for adults - it's very well done.

A conclusion? I don't know. I thoroughly enjoyed both the comics and the tv series. It's been a long ride, but it was most certainly a very enjoyable one. The story only got more and more intense. So, if you're up for something radical, try Death Note. You probably won't regret it.